Monday, March 12, 2007

Vicuprogoths

Vented Yellowstone geysers occasionally make manifest dwellers of the fissures, the Vicuprogoths. Not the real deal, as they would die if brought higher than five miles deep. No, rather the mirror image reflected in electrically charged water vapor. The science is little understood, but we're working on it.

Theory has it Vicuprogoths, like us, were delivered to earth as spores. They evolved from enzymes to protoplasm to single celled organisms to (eventually) something something like us, only with lava instead of blood. Their varied shapes conformed to spaces between igneous rock deep in the earth's crust. We can only guess as to their culture, should such exist.

The only other Vicuprogothic manifestation known to us other than the one cited above is the extremely rare fossil fragment imbedded in volcanic projectiles. Seen here is a cast made from one of these fossils recovered on Anak Krakatau in 1936.

2 comments:

Steph said...

Another nice one! Love its color!
I showed your blog to some of my students (adults) yesterday... Some liked it a lot and some didnt... I felt kind of helpless because I was not able to communicate my enthusiasm about your sculptures... well it's their first year in an art school I said to myself as a lame excuse...

Jay King said...

I am honored you tried.
I've gotten the same reactions from folks - some like it, more don't. A lot of people can't get past the squeamish factor. I can understand that. More people would rather see cute puppies on the web than weird people/critters. I just hope they don't think any less of you as a teacher for liking the little odd bodkins.