Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Simple Simon

So this kid by the name of Simon meets a pieman going to the fair. Major red flag. The two rhyme. Simon, pieman: an obvious literary ploy. The whole thing could be made up. If not, I suspect this Simon kid already knew the pieman. Probably followed him to the fair. Ever think of that?

Well, this Simon, did I mention he's said to be simple? Crafted his image that way, is what. So he says to the pieman, "Let me taste your ware." That's Simplish for pie. The pieman says to Simon, "Show me first your penny," either meaning Simon's sister Penny, implicating both of them in a pimp/john conspiracy, or that's the price of the pie. Seems pretty cheap to me, but it is a buyer's market. So, get this. The simpleton says to the pieman, "Sir, I have not any." Meaning either that he's an only child or he's broke. Either way, he's misrepresented himself and isn't near as simple as he's led on. I'm sure the rolling of the vendor comes in the next verse. I mean, look at him. Does he look honest to you?

No comments: