Thursday, February 22, 2007

Sibyl

On a lark I visited a sibyl on my lunch hour today. (For some time I had been carrying around her phone number in my wallet.) Not one to read tarot cards or palms or tea leaves, she chose instead to read my thoughts. I was not comfortable with the notion, having, as I do, thoughts I prefer to keep to myself. She overcame my resistance soon enough and mulled over what she discovered. I must say, it tickled a bit. To my surprise, she told me no fortune, only that I'd be visited by four djinns in as many days. That was it. Twenty bucks. I felt kind of cheated, but then I thought, well, that's only five bucks per djinn. It could have been worse. "Damned right it could," she said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Four djinns in as many days, eh? Well, let me tell you that's no picnic, mister. I went through a similar experience a few Christmases ago, and all I can say is that it changed me for the worse. Oh, sure, everybody likes me more now, and I'm heralded by the community as an 'upstanding citizen,' whatever that means. But I've done so much damn charity work that I've had to dip into my once-considerable savings to help fund it. I've no time left to myself, and my business concerns have become markedly less prosperous. I don't know what those djinns have in mind, but I'd take whatever they show you with a huge Siberian salt mine while looking through rose coloured glasses. You, not the mine.

Jay King said...

Oh good. For a minute there I thought I'd have to produce some very large glasses. And do roses even grow in Siberia? I wonder...