Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Vesta

Back then it was no simple task to kindle a fire, so once one was started, it had to be maintained. Hestia kept it going on Olympus, all the while fending off the advances of vain Apollo and damp Poseidon. Her Roman version was Vesta, who kept the fire going in her circular temple atop Palatine Hill. Vesta hired a crew of like minded virgins to help her in her task. Their hearth tending was a thing to behold. Embers were sent out from the temple to kindle fires in the farthest reaches of the empire. Newborn babes were brought to the fires for tempering.

The Vestal Virgins had two things to maintain: the fire and their virginity. To lose either was punishable by death. Naturally, the method chosen to bring about this result was to tie her to a post and burn her alive. There were always enough coals to achieve this.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whenever I try to temper newborn babes, they call me names and cast me into the void. Sheesh. Mayhaps it is because I am not a virgin anymorps.

Jay King said...

Perbe it's because you say mayhaps.

Anonymous said...

Perbeonny, I think it's that damp Poseidon's fault.

Jay King said...

No, that damp Poseidon's fault is the Marianas Trench.

Anonymous said...

I'd ask you, sirrah, not to get into Marianna's Trench. I've been there, and trust me, you don't wanna go.