Saturday, February 18, 2006

Previous Tenant

From the LA Times:
News of Death May Be Kept Mum

Question: I own a rental house in which the previous tenant passed away. Is there any law requiring me to disclose this to the new tenants?
Answer: You are generally not required to tell prospective or new tenants about the death of a previous tenant on your property. If it was due to natural causes, you need not tell the new tenants. If it resulted from a violent crime, even though you still are not specifically required to tell the tenants, it is probably a good idea to do so.

"Yes, miss?"
"Good afternoon, sir. Might I inquire about the apartment to let?"
"Certainly, come right in. It's up the stairs. Follow me, please."
"My, these stairs are steep, aren't they?"
"Hmm? I daresay, I never noticed. Never noticed, indeed."
"And a bit dark.."
"Here we are; Number 206. Let me just find the right key.."
"Do you smell gas?"
"Actually natural gas is odorless. They put a chemical in it that gives it the smell."
"But do you smell it?"
"No. No, I daresay, I do not. Here we go. Right this way."
"Good Lord! What is that ghastly smell?"
"A bit stuffy is all. We've had it closed up of late."
"It smells like something died in here."
"I'll just pop open a window."
"Umm.. Those red stains in the carpet.."
"Paint. That's paint. An artist lived here before. Must have spilled some.. paint. We can cover that up with a little throw rug."
"It seems that mirror is turned toward the wall. That's odd."
"Didn't like reflections, it would seem. Bit of a queer duck."
"What. Is. That?"
"Oh. The writing, on the wall. Well, the old boy fancied himself a poet."
"It says, 'Die, Fag, Die!'"
"Not much of a poet it would seem. I'll have that painted."
"Is there something you're not telling me about this rental? Something I should know about?"
"No, no - nothing. Nothing of any great importance. Nothing to lose sleep over. Nothing that must be disclosed. Still..."
"Yes?"
"There is one thing I think you should know. I'm not specifically required to tell tenants about this, but I think you should know.."
"Know what?"
"It's about the previous tenant."
"Yes, the artist. What about him?"
"Well, it's like this. He... was..."
"Yes?"
"He was... gay."
"How much is the deposit?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I liked this one.
You're right though, I should have started at the bottom.
Hmmm.

Jay King said...

Thanks Billybob... er, 'anonymous.'